You are here

Indoor Air

Project

Radon

Radon is a colourless, odourless gas that is released during the naturally-occurring, radioactive decay of uranium in rocks and soils. Radon levels outdoors are generally low; however, radon can enter buildings through cracks and openings in the foundation and levels can become much higher indoors, especially in basements and lower floors. Exposure to radon over time increases the risk of...

View Full Article

Carbon Monoxide in Long-Term Care Facilities

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless, and non-irritating gas that is harmful to humans. As a by-product of incomplete combustion, CO is produced by fuel-burning appliances including boilers, furnaces, fireplaces, kitchen stoves, and laundry dryers. Cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust also contribute to indoor CO levels. At low levels of exposure, symptoms can include headache, nausea...

View Full Article

Mould

Topics: Indoor Air 

Mould is a ubiquitous fungus in outdoor environments that inevitably makes its way indoors. The general population is commonly exposed to mould through inhalation, and less commonly through direct contact, with no adverse effects. However, individuals with asthma or other underlying respiratory ailments may show sensitivity to mould or its cellular components that may trigger respiratory tract...

View Full Article